10 Tips to a Profitable Physician Relations Program in 2020
You’re ready to expand your reach and connect with local referring physicians and there is no better ways to do that then implement a physician relations program!
But first, it is important to understand what exactly a physician liaison is and their value to your physician referral marketing.
Physician Relaitions Job Description
A physician relations manager is the practice ambassador charged with cultivating physician referral relationships that convert patients.
The physician liaison job description is to actively market to local referring physicians to help drive new and increase existing patient referrals.
The boost of new patient referrals will result in:
- An increase in patient growth
- An increase in high revenue procedures or surgeries
- An increase in overall practice revenue
Physician liaison are representative of the practice and the physicians their to discuss information pertinent to patient referrals and streamline the referral process for referring doctors.
The physician liaison must be fully educated on the processes, services, and referral systems to effectively build physician referral relationships.
During the physician liaison training process the liaisons acquire the necessary knowledge, skillsets, and tools to successfully and confidently market to referring physicians.
What Does A Physician Relations Manager?
- Boots on the ground marketing rep actively visiting referring physicians to build lucrative physician referral relationships
- Increases patient referrals from referring physicians
- Increases practice surgeries, treatments, and procedures
- Increases overall practice revenue
- Schedules physician meetings and lunches with referring doctors and practices
- Delivers the necessary marketing collateral and referral material to help streamline patient referrals
- Reports on patient referral growth, trends, and patterns
- Helps manage practice-marketing initiatives
- Serves as physician and practice ambassador
- Develops a strategic physician relations marketing plan
- Reports to providing physicians on the physician relations program
A physician liaison is a physician’s connection to their local healthcare community. A physician liaison allows physicians to focus on patient care while the physician liaison serves as their representative and helps automate the physician referral process.
A physician liaison will be the eyes and ears of the physician given because of their work in the field marketing. They have the best perspective on what it takes to build lucrative physician referral relationships.
In collaboration with the providing physicians they are able to effectively communicate and create referral process that provide value to referring physicians to better increase the likelihood of gaining patient referrals.
10 Tips for Marketing to Doctors for Referrals
- It’s important you find the ideal physician liaison to represent your practice. Choose the physician liaison that best fits to the needs and wants of your practice and team.
- Invest in a professional physician liaison training program. This will ensure your physician liaison will be professionally trained and have all the necessary skills to succeed.
- Create a physician liaison marketing plan with clear benchmarks and goals. This information should be pulled from your practice numbers.
- Implement consistent physician relations outreach marketing. Consistency is key, NOT few and far between visits!
- Create value as a physician liaison based on the needs and wants of your referring physicians. Do not just promote and advertise your practice this is about building GENUINE RELATIONSHIPS.
- Develop a strategic marketing follow-up Nothing is worse then the same old tired message.
- Implement a physician liaison tracking system that helps you not only track the marketing but plan ahead.
- Report ROI it’s crucial to understand the health of the marketing and know your numbers. Keep an eye out for referral patterns, trends, and measure success.
- Require time with your doctor. The more involved the physician is in the physician liaison marketing the better.
- Expand your reach! Don’t be afraid to expand your territories for a more target approach towards surgeries or services.
Implementing a physician liaison marketing program can help you boost patient referrals and grow your practice.
Stay in front of the competition and build genuine and lucrative relationships with local physicians.
There are so many benefits to a physician liaison marketing program beyond the profit growth but a great way to better engage and connect with your local physician community.